Sunday, September 18, 2016

GNO, peaches, and Eli

GNO, peaches, and Eli. At first glance you may wonder what those three things could possibly have in common. The answer is absolutely nothing. Except all three comprised my weekend, making it pure delight, so much so that it deserved a blog post all its own.

Friday night, some friends from our ward got together for a Girls' Night Out, in honor of our sweet friend Lacey, who will be moving soon and leaving the ward. She's not going far, but far enough. We will still get to see her, but not enough. We will miss her.

I will miss her.

We gathered at Lacey's favorite Chinese restaurant around a long table and ordered way too much food, which (minus the broccoli beef) was delicious. Broccoli is one of those things that I so wish I liked; it's on everyone's short list of the healthiest foods, but on my list, it's also the yuckiest. Eww. I can't really remember what all we talked about that night, but I know we mostly laughed. Lots. Moms need breaks from kids. Women need connections with other women. GNO cannot be overrated.


Following dinner, five of the nine of us headed to the Century 16 theater to see what would turn out to be the most depressing movie in the history of ever. Goodness! It was artfully created with beautiful scenery and decent acting, but I can hardly think how it could be any sadder. It reminded of the first time I read Jude the Obscure, okay the only time I read it, when after each page, I would think, "The only thing worse that could possibly happen is ____________," and then I'd turn the page, and it did. That's how it was with this movie, which was extremely slow moving, sort of like pain. When you're in the middle of pain, time creeps. It's like pushing through thick fog, and you can't see the end. This movie did end eventually, but every bit as sadly as it began. What movie was it, you want to know? The Light Between Two Oceans.

Saturday morning, after a yummy Waffle Love breakfast, Shulamith and I came home and tackled our out-of-control peach tree. A week ago, I offered peaches to whomever wanted them, and lots of people came and took some. Then I had a peach party and made jam, but still, there were so many peaches left on that tree. Most were getting old and rotten, and there were hundreds that had fallen to the ground, so it was a bit of a project. I dealt with the ones on the ground, and Shulamith picked the ones left on the tree, separating out the good ones from the rotten ones as she clipped branches. If you know her, you know how self-sacrificing that was, since she'd prefer not to be within 10 feet of a peach. Every once in a while, I'd get bombarded by peaches falling on my head like giant hailstones. In those moments I could only wonder, "Why would anyone in his right mind plant a giant peach tree in his front yard?"

We finally finished, and I went inside to do some school work, when suddenly the front door flew open, and in walked none other than Eli! I was so excited and surprised that I jumped right out of my chair and ran over to hug him. Amanda was spending a girls' day (which is almost as good as a GNO) with her aunt and grandma who live here, so we got Eli for all of the afternoon and part of the evening. He and I enjoyed long and delightful conversations, a nice walk, and then lunch with Seth and Isaiah, and dinner with Isaiah and Gerald.


GNO, peaches, and Eli. Weekends don't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment