Friday, September 30, 2016

Why do we have seasons?



Why do we have seasons?

This was a question from Eli, posed on our family text thread a few days ago. His geography teacher at BYU-Idaho told students to ask five people this question and record their honest, immediate answers. He said 95% of Harvard University students don't get it right. Our answers varied, but I think most of us knew that it has to do with the fact that the earth tilts on its axis.

That said, there is more to life than science. Last night, Seth and I went to McDonald's for an impromptu ice cream and Diet Coke run. As he drove, I read our nightly scripture, and then he talked to me about how much he loves the fall. The cooler temperatures, the changing colors, the best holidays--everything about fall is wonderful. I agree.

Maybe it's not all about the tilting earth; maybe it's about us humans and our need for change. Because as much as we all love summer, most of us are more than ready for a new season.

I sure am.

Especially this year.

These past few months have been been way more stressful than I would like, with one crazy problem right on top of the last one. There have been high points for sure: Eli's beautiful wedding, trips to Portland, Rexburg, and St. George, birthdays to celebrate. Still, it's been trying, and my anxiety has spun right out of control. Now I'm pretty sure you dear readers are beyond tired of hearing about my dumb anxiety (boring!), so I won't say much. Bottom line is I'm still alive and well, even though my mind loves to tell me otherwise.

So I, for one, was more than happy to turn the page on this lovely calendar. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow to a new month, and the start of my favorite three months of the year. The icing on the cake? Because October 1st happens to fall on a Saturday this year, tomorrow also begins General Conference, the two-day, semi-annual worldwide meeting of our church. And let me just tell you, General Conference is a "thing" at the Erichsen-Webster home. We plan for it carefully. Seth's last words before I dropped him off at work just now were, "Have you bought the General Conference snacks yet?" Not yet, but I'm headed to the store right now.

Between sessions tomorrow, we'll pull out our decorations and turn our home black and orange. Our environment will change, not only outside but inside. Change is good. It informs our brains that the future offers hope always. No matter how dark our current circumstances, the earth will continue to spin on its tilted axis, and seasons will come and go accordingly. I'm guessing the savior knew something about this. And I'm grateful.

My three words for the new month and season ahead: Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment