Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Cuz I could always carry you
Today was a bit emotional. Not in a bad way, but emotional for sure. Today, Seth did two important things: he sat for the ACT exam, and he got his driver's license. On the same day. It's a lot to process for this attachment mom. Both these events represent a changing future for him, a maturity I'm not sure I'm ready for.
As most of you know, Seth is the youngest in our family of five children, and I've never been in a hurry for him to grow up. With firstborn kids, everything is so new. We tend to rush each milestone because each new accomplishment is so exciting. But with the fifth and final babe, there is no rush. None. They can stay little just as long as they want to. They never want to.
I remember when Seth was a year old and learning to walk. "Are you sure?" I asked him. "Are you sure you want to do this? Cuz I could always carry you."
He decided to walk.
And run.
And go to school.
And make friends.
And play the piano and video-games. He decided to join his high school choir and perform in musicals. I blinked, and he was a deacon, and then a teacher, and then a priest. Just like that, it was no longer I coaxing him to come for scripture and prayer, but he reminding me, "Mom, don't go to sleep; we still need to say a prayer."
Today, he took two more big steps forward, one that opens the door for higher education and one that brings tremendous freedom and independence. Whether I'm ready or not, this is happening.
So Seth, be safe out there on the road. Be safe, my baby. I'm right here by your side through the many choices the next year and a half will present. And if it ever feels too tough, if you ever feel like you can't take the next step by yourself, don't you even worry.....
Cuz I could always carry you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment