Sunday, February 19, 2017

Lack of Paradise

The scriptures tell us that when we pass from this life to the next, we will be "received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise..." (Alma 40:12). There we will rest. And we will work. It will be both peaceful and productive.

For me, a place here on earth simulates that same experience of peace and productivity. I'm sure it's only "through a glass darkly" (I Corinthians 13:12), but to my small, mortal mind, it seems parallel.  It's called Paradise Bakery, and I've always thought the name was perfectly fitting. I've written about this place before, once here in 2009, and again here in 2014. Paradise: my place when I truly need to be productive but also seek a restful, peaceful environment.

So yesterday morning, bight and early, I dressed in comfy clothes, pulled my hair back, gathered my laptop and backpack, and headed for Paradise with a mission. Last Wednesday, I received 45 essays, and I would plug through them, one by one, making substantial progress on this lovely Saturday. I would have at least seven graded by the time Shulamith came to meet me for breakfast and another seven by lunch. (And if you're wondering if my entire world revolves around food, yes it does).

But the minute I arrived, I knew my plan was thwarted:

Lack of Paradise.

That's right. Paradise Bakery on Ft. Union is closed down. How could this happen? Those soft booths, some hidden back away from the crowd, with electricity under each one. That marvelous fast Wifi. Those delicious cookies (Once you've read three essays, you can buy a cookie!). What ever will I do with lack of Paradise?

I left discouraged, but then some rain began to fall so at least there's that. I got in my car and texted Shulamith, the only one who would understand the magnitude this dilemma. She suggested I try Corner Bakery by Fashion Place, so off I went. Hmmmm. It was okay. Just okay. Definitely lack of Paradise. The booths are not very comfortable, and only two I could find had electricity, and none of them were hidden away. It was noisy. There were no good cookies.

I worked there anyway because by that point, I was woefully behind schedule, and even with lack of Paradise, those dang essays needed to be graded. May I add here that I don't much like working on Saturdays. I am a part time instructor. I am not a career woman. I should not have to spend my weekends working. Especially when I can't do it in Paradise!

Blah!

I had six essays graded by the time Shulamith arrived, and then made it to twelve by lunch. By that point I was really tired of lack of Paradise, so I went home and tried to work there. It's hard. Gerald and I are diametrical opposites when it comes to desired work environments. He likes either loud Spanish music playing in the background or the droll of CNN, reporting about the unparalleled sad state of our nation as a result of the clown we elected President. I need pin-drop quiet. He likes the window shades wide open, so he can see the mountains in the background. I like them closed, so I can see my computer screen. Diametrical opposites.

I didn't get much done. But here's the upside. Last night was Seth's first date, his first formal dance! For many of you, that is hard to believe. Me too. Seth cannot be that old. In Utah, they don't just go to dances; they do entire day dates. So in the afternoon, they went to the humane society to pet dogs, followed by Italian sodas at Fiiz. Then he was home to change for dinner and the dance. Here he is waiting (not so patiently) for his date and two other couples to arrive at our house to pick him up:


They finally arrived! I only saw Seth briefly when he got home last night, just time for a quick rundown on the evening and a prayer, but the report is he had a great time! Dinner at Chili's; followed by the dance at Rio Tinto; and then a movie, The Great Wall. All in all, a delightful first date for Seth!

The strange part? No one else was taking pictures. I'm serious. No other parents were taking pictures of their kids all dolled up for this dance. I didn't want to embarrass Seth, but on the other hand, I was not about to miss pictures of his first formal dance. Talk about lack of Paradise. That, my dear readers, was not happening. So when the group arrived to pick him up, as sweetly as I could, I ran outside and insisted on grabbing a few photos. All the kids were super adorable and accommodating of this mom, who needed pictures of her baby's first dance. Here they are:




The day began with unfortunate lack of Paradise, but ended with joy!

2 comments:

  1. You won't miss it, but I loved Corner Bakery, and it is now gone here as well as Paradise.Waaa. your son looks so cute for his dance. I take pictures if everything. How can parents NOT record their child's first (and all) dance?

    ReplyDelete