We humans can do many things, but one thing we can't do is be in two places at once. That said, with modern technology, we can make a valiant effort.
This past weekend presented me with a dilemma, which I explained here, but the short of it is that Seth's prom fell on the same night I had already planned to be in St. George for my friend's daughter's wedding. An acquaintance once said this about me: "Terrianne is a fierce mom." Honestly, I've never felt more complimented. I do love to be present in all areas of my kids' lives, and no, I don't like missing important events, certainly not my youngest baby's junior prom. And yet. I really, really wanted to be at this wedding. I was honored to be invited to attend the sealing. It was important to me. So even after learning of the prom conflict, there wasn't any doubt I would go to St. George.
Modern technology to the rescue!
With a prom group of 16 kids, the pre-prom picture-taking session was a bit of a zoo. Gerald was there with the list of pictures I'd requested (demanded?), trying his best to get everything I wanted. He did great! Really, he did. Just look at these gorgeous pictures:
He even thought up one of his own, a picture of the back of Jodi's hair! I hope she wasn't too creeped out by Gerald asking her to turn around, so he could take the picture.
But what made my absence tolerable was Seth's FaceTime call, as they were preparing to leave for dinner. I had just finished eating when the call came, so I slipped out into the foyer of the chapel, where I got to talk to Seth and Jodi in real time. They were pretty distracted by all the activity, but I still got to say my bit:
"Ahhhhhh, you two look so beautiful! Jodie, that dress is totally adorable! Please, please be so safe driving tonight...seat belts, everyone...and have so much fun! I love you, Seth!"
It was great. I don't feel like I missed anything at all. Thank you so much, amazing technology. Such a thing would not have been possible when I went to prom.
Prom, 2017: It was almost like being there.




No comments:
Post a Comment