Saturday, April 15, 2017

A cougar, a Jazz game, a piece of rope, and Easter Bunny help!

My friend Rebecca, the pastor of a Protestant church, sometimes updates her Facebook status with the events of her day. When she does this, I come to realize just how much I truly suck, because by the time I finish reading her "day in the life of" status, I'm thoroughly exhausted and pretty sure she accomplishes more in one day than I do in an entire month. That said, my schedule this weekend could maybe compete? Wait no, never mind. It's Holy Week and Easter tomorrow, the busiest week of her year. I won't even come close.

I'm desperately trying to wrap up the semester, which ended Thursday. Grades aren't actually due until Wednesday, but honestly, you don't even know how desperate I am to get them submitted so my actual 4-week semester break can officially begin. But it's also Easter weekend, so no, I can't spend all my time reading essays. There is cooking and shopping and Easter prep to do. It's also Isaiah's birthday today. I won't tell you how old he is, but he's been telling all his friends and coworkers he's turning 23. I couldn't be prouder! So glad to have passed on the genetic link of lying about age to my middle child. Go Isaiah!

The problem, though, is he is impossible to buy gifts for, absolutely impossible. All he really wants for his birthday is for the Jazz to win its first playoff game tonight, and though I'm an expert gift buyer and the Queen Mom of surprises, I can't promise a win tonight or do anything whatsoever to make it happen. Help!

Along with figuring out that dilemma, there is Easter to prep for. Shulamith and I surprised even ourselves by having most of our "Easter Bunny" shopping done yesterday, both for her kids and mine. Still, I found myself needing just a few more items for dinner tomorrow, so out I went this morning, when I should have been home cleaning and cooking. Gerald did a bit of the cleaning, fortunately, and Shulamith make "smashed" potatoes (Hi, Eli!) and an ice cream dessert, which will also serve as Isaiah's birthday cake. Done and done. I still need to make stuffing. Turkey will go in oven tomorrow, along with glazed carrots in the crock pot.

In the middle of all this, I decided to go to a play. I know, right? Why would I do that today? Well, you see, my friend Hilly is starring in Desert Star's production of "Captain American Fork," and she got me comp tickets for this afternoon's performance. I can never say no to "free," and I really wanted to see her perform, so why not add yet another thing into this carefree day? I just now got home from that, and let me tell you that Hilly was fantastic! Really, she was. Like most Desert Star plays (maybe all of them?), it was one Mormon joke on top of another all the way through, but she went above and beyond in her performance as the villain cougar. Locals, if you get the chance, go see it. It's double cast, so make sure you buy your ticket for a night Hillary is performing.

Now you might be wondering why, with so much to do, I would be blogging at this moment. Remember: writing is therapy for me. And yes, I pretty much always need therapy, but why especially today? Well last night I decided to get a head start on today's tasks and mow our lawn. It was the first mow of the season, so the grass was tall, and just as I came around the corner of our lot, I encountered this horrible piece of rope, all wrapped up super gross-like. Just the color and positioning in the grass, well you get the idea. I about died. Ugh. It took some time and every ounce of concentration and bravery I could muster to kick it out into the street. Even now, it's still there, and it looks really awful.

So I'm hoping some writing therapy will help me settle down, that and exercise. Oh, did I forget to mention that I also started new workout program, "Bikini Body Mommy 90-day Challenge," and yesterday was my first day? Yep, I did. So I still need to do that. And make stuffing. And clean kitchen. And sweep and mop floors. Rebecca, am I coming even close?

So I better go. Happy Easter, everyone. May we pause from the crazy, long enough to remember the sacrifice that was made and give thanks. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment