Last night in my English class, my students were discussing how language is both a tool and a resource. It serves as a tool to get things done, but oftentimes it provides a richer resource, one that digs deeper and builds relationships. Our discussion reminded me of a sermon I once heard from an intuitive pastor a long time ago. He said, "When you borrow an egg, it's about way more than just the egg." He meant that far more important than acquiring the needed egg, the connection you build through the act of borrowing might forever change your life.
This past weekend I traveled to Rexburg, Idaho to do two things, visit Eli and his wife Amanda, and hang out with my friend Lindsey. I always feel like I'm double dipping when I can do both in one weekend, like I'm somehow cheating the universe; it results in a feeling if immense satisfaction, bordering on smugness even. It had been too long since Lindsey and I had spent any good time together. I was missing her. Lots.
Her second born and only son, Jase, is now 11. I will always be grateful to Jase for introducing Lindsey and me. Once upon a time, about 11 years ago, I was sitting in a Gospel Doctrine class in our ward in Billings, Montana. Behind me was a mother holding her newborn son. I didn't know her; I'm not even sure I knew her name, although maybe I did because I was Relief Society President at the time and made it my business to know all the sisters' names. At the time, my own baby was already six, and I definitely suffered from "empty arms syndrome," a condition that still haunts me now and then. I glanced back at this mother with a longing that she obviously sensed, because finally she said, "Would you like to hold him?"
Would I like to hold him? Uh.......yes.
She handed me Baby Jase, and just like that: a decade-long friendship began. One that would survive long-distance moves (neither of us lives in Billings anymore), two more babies (hers), significant events in my own children's lives, and more.
When you borrow a baby, it's about way more than just the baby.
Some friendships are eternal, and this is one of those. Along with some lovely extended conversations and two McDonald's meals (cuz it's what we do), good visits with David, and amazing hugs from each of their four kids, I also got to spend a bit of time with Eli, Amanda, and their cat, Ramsay.
It was a busy weekend for them; in addition to their regular work schedules, Amanda was helping a friend with her wedding, and the word "helping" is a gross understatement. Amanda not only lent this bride her wedding gown and assembled a "bride's wedding day survival kit," but she also volunteered to bake the wedding cake! I'm not even kidding. Now you may be wondering, "Is Amanda is a wedding cake baker?" Until this past weekend, no. She had never baked a wedding cake in her life. But she saw a need and she stepped up: "Sure! I can do this!"
When you bake someone a wedding cake, it's about way more than just the cake.
Throughout my three days in Rexburg, I watched Amanda care for this bride-to-be with meticulous detail. She did far more than just bake the cake (which was no easy task); she invested her time and her heart. Layer after layer, she worked, relentlessly, until late in the night. Once each layer was baked, cooled, and carefully frosted, she asked Eli to say a prayer that they could safely transport all of it to the reception. I have never seen someone work with more love.
I once borrowed a baby, and the result was a friendship I could have never imagined as I sat in that Sunday School class all those years ago.
Amanda once baked a wedding cake for a friend, and just look how lovely that turned out! But as always, the process was even greater than the product.
A wise pastor once said, "When you borrow an egg, it's about way more than just the egg."
He was right.

No comments:
Post a Comment