Friday, January 1, 2021

New Paths to Walk

 


Today begins a new year, 2021. For many, 2020 was filled with hardship: physical, emotional, psychological, financial, or some combination of those. The shutdown in March left people out of work, with no way to provide for their families. Parents, who never dreamed they would be, were suddenly homeschooling their children, in many cases, while they simultaneously tried to do their own jobs from home. We all assumed this would be short lived, right? Had we been told back then that as 2020 became 2021, we would still be held in the wicked grip of this virus, how many of us would have believed it? Yet here we are. 

The worst part, for me, has been the fear, fear of other human beings. My natural tendency is to welcome people openly, to get close enough to engage in conversation, even with people I don't know. COVID has turned me into a pseudo-introvert, which couldn't be any further from my natural personality. Even wearing a mask, I won't go near anyone who is not in my little family bubble. Many of you know about my ridiculous (but painfully real) anxiety disorder that specifies to irrational fear of fatal diseases. Enter COVID-19. Oh. My. Goodness. Paranoid does not begin to describe it.

Today I look forward to a new year, with new paths to walk, both literally and figuratively. Above is a picture of my walk a couple mornings ago in my new neighborhood. It was cold, but not freezing. It's almost always windy here in the Bluffdale wilderness, but that morning the air was still and the sun shone brightly all around. I have felt a bit displaced since we moved, especially with Shulamith still stuck in Midvale. It's hard to describe. I kinda feel like I'm on vacation in an Airbnb and I'll be returning to Angel House any day now. But that morning, as I walked through all the construction and then up that hill and back around to our house, I felt a little more at home. "We will be happy here," I thought.

We will also walk new figurative paths in 2021. With a little luck, one of those will include an effective vaccine to protect us from this wretched virus that has caused so much pain and fear and chaos. We've been told that teachers will have access to the vaccine this month. I can hardly wait! I pray that everyone who can will choose to be vaccinated. Together, let's create that herd immunity, so lives can be saved and so we can return to a more normal life. Just think of how it will feel to hug our friends again, to gather in groups to celebrate important events, to enjoy meals in restaurants, to fly to Portland to visit our families (okay, that one is just for me, but this is my blog after all). 

In just 20 days, we will also walk the path of a new administration. President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris give me hope. As we emerge from the darkness and despair of the past four years, may we link arms and walk the path of decency, of humanity, and of grace. Fueled by the resiliency of the human spirit, we will walk these new paths bravely, facing the challenges that lie ahead. And yes, there will be challenges. The hope of 2021 is not for a perfect year with no obstacles. So many "Farewell 2020" memes have graced social media this past week. I have laughed and cried and been entertained. Perhaps my favorite is one is this:

Dear 2021,

You have literally been handed the easiest job in history. You don't need to be the best year ever. You don't even need to be Top 20. You have one effing job. Be better than 2020. Try not to mess that up.

Sincerely, 

Everybody

Yep, just better than 2020. I know you can do it. I have faith in you. 

Heads held high, my friends. We've got this. Welcome to 2021, with new paths to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment