It was a birthday week to be sure. It began last Sunday, when (wait for it.....), I got to both speak in Sacrament Meeting AND teach a Sunday School class. It was not the very best Sunday I've ever had, but close. Once a few years ago, in the Union Park 6th Ward, I had the most glorious Sunday in the history of ever; I got to speak in Sacrament Meeting, teach Gospel Doctrine (the absolute best calling in the ward), and teach Relief Society. I realize that for some, a Sunday like this wouldn't be appealing, but for me, well, it doesn't get any better. A week ago in the brand new Bluffdale 16th ward, I didn't get to teach Gospel Doctrine, but I did get to lead a Temple Prep class for a nice couple preparing to enter the temple and be sealed as a family. It was fun and made Sunday the perfect start to my celebration week.
It was fall break for Shulamith's kids, so we tried to do something special with them each day. Monday we went swimming. Tuesday we visited the witches at Gardner Village. Wednesday, my actual birthday, we went to KidsTopia. Okay, not my idea of a fabulous birthday destination; however, it offers nice tables and chairs, Diet Coke, and internet. I happen to be buried in essays at the moment, so I worked there for a solid two hours while Shulamith read, and her kids played. Besides, we couldn't celebrate with the family that day anyway for two reasons:
1. COVID. Have I mentioned how much I hate this stupid virus? Poor Eli and Amanda, who are fully vaccinated, had breakthrough cases. Should I mention that she is 39 weeks pregnant? I felt so bad for them. And helpless! All I could do was drop by food and supplies on their doorstep each day, and pray. They were nervous, of course, with the baby so near to earth, so Eli set up a mini-hospital. They had a Pulse O2 oxygen monitor, a blood pressure cuff, a fever thermometer, and a Doppler heartbeat monitor to track the little baby's heart rate. Unable to visit their doctor because they were COVID positive, these tools at least gave them some peace of mind. And as much as I hate this virus, I am equally thankful for science and a miracle vaccine that kept them from getting far sicker than they were.
2. Isaiah was out of town. After a long COVID hiatus, he is once again traveling for Cvent, handling onsite events. He was in Chicago last week over my birthday and heads to Dallas/Ft. Worth in a few days. He's delighted to be back "on the road (in the air?) again."
Thursday Shulamith scheduled medical/dental appointments all day for her kids, so Friday we took them to a pumpkin patch for their final day of Fall Break. And we postponed my family birthday celebration to the weekend, when Eli and Amanda were officially out of quarantine, and Isaiah was back home between trips. Only Gerald missed out, because he still doesn't eat inside restaurants.
We went to Olive Garden in Provo, the only way to include Seth, who works there several nights a week while he's going to school. He is absolutely the cutest server, and I'm not even biased; he really is! You should definitely go there and see him. We ate way too much alfredo, breadsticks, salad, chicken parmesan, and fried calamari (Swen's new favorite)! Then we shared a dessert of fried Italian doughnuts with raspberry, chocolate, and caramel dipping sauces. Eli made me a cake and everyone sang, and it was all just delightful.
I've always said birthday celebrations should be at least a week long, and it's true. I'm so grateful for my sweet little family. I love them beyond words.


No comments:
Post a Comment