Saturday, September 16, 2023

This is the most beautiful car I've ever seen!

We have an ironic situation in our family. The people who are under 6'3" (Shulamith, Eli, Amanda, and I) like to drive larger vehicles, such as minivans or SUVs. And the people who are over 6'3" (Isaiah, Seth, Luke, and Gerald) like to stuff themselves into the tiniest, subcompact cars they can find. While we are driving around comfortably with plenty of room, the three of them barely fit in their cars, their heads with but a fraction of an inch to spare. I'm pretty sure Isaiah's lovely curls graze the top of his Kia Rio!

As you may remember, recently, I've developed a problem with cars. They break. They crash. They suck! This was not always the case. My first minivan, a 1990 Dodge Caravan, we purchased when I was pregnant with Isaiah, so we could bring him home from the hospital since our car at the time accommodated only our then small family of four. I drove that van for 15 years, and Isaiah was quick to inform everyone that "learning to drive the same vehicle your parents used to transport you home from the hospital is just wrong!"

Fifteen years driving the same car. No crashes. No transmission failures. No broken emergency brakes (this one I managed to accomplish while driving Shulamith's minivan, but it still counts). 

What happened??? 

I have no idea. Truly, I'm baffled.

But here I am, yet again, in a rental. It took three days to get it. The dealership that will replace my failed transmission told me it was Chrysler Care who needed to provide me a rental. Chrysler Care told me it was the responsibility of the dealership. Back and forth I went. For three days. Finally, this past Monday, a miracle occurred (and it really was!). Chrysler Care assumed responsibility for providing the rental. They told me I could go rent a car as long as it was no more than $65/day, and they would reimburse me. 

Shulamith immediately called Enterprise, and the only car they had to meet that qualification was a tiny Nissan Versa. Don't get me wrong. It's a fine car. Just small. In fact, it would be the perfect car for Isaiah, Seth, Luke, or Gerald. But me? Not so much. I'm a minivan mom through and through, and I absolutely need all that space.

Still, at the end of this very sucky week, where absolutely everything sucks, my job still requires me to drive to three college campuses in three locations nowhere near one another. So for today, though I'd never buy it, at this moment, this is the most beautiful car I've ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment