Thursday, January 4, 2024

2023 Favorites (and a few least favorites)!


If Oprah can have favorites, so can I. Here are my 2023 picks:

Favorite Book:  Burial Rights by Hannah Kent

Beautiful story. Beautiful writing. That’s all I’m gonna say about it. (But prepare to cry yourself to sleep). Honorable mentions to Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garums, which is hilarious and quirky and all the good things, and Lovely War by Julie Berry. Disclaimer: This one’s classified as a “young adult romance,” which I didn’t know before I read it, and had I known, most likely wouldn’t have picked it up. I am no fan of young adult literature, yet here it is, earning an honorable mention this year. Set during WWI, it includes the agony of war, but also the redeeming power of true love, all narrated by Aphrodite, adding a touch of Greek Mythology, which is always a plus. Loved it.


Least Favorite Book: None. 

I don’t read books I don’t like. Capture me in 20 pages or I’m out. 


Favorite Purchase: Barely making the 2023 deadline, on New Year’s Eve I bought a new entryway table on FB Marketplace! It is exactly what I’ve been looking for and in “like new” condition. It even has a lower shelf to display my 15 years of blog books. So, so happy with it!


Least Favorite Purchase: New AC unit.

Seth’s dumb dog, Waffles, used our previous AC unit as his private bathroom, successfully corroding all the internal and external hardware. He did this on purpose. Rather than going out back in the small gated area, he wanted us to take him on six walks every day, where he could roam the neighborhood, smell all the smells, and bark at other dogs. And he got his wish! Replacing the AC unit was horribly expensive, and I’m still grieving that decision and feeling foolish for spending so much. We could survive without it. And we should have.


Favorite Movie: Waitress. 

I saw so few movies in theaters this past year that choosing wasn’t difficult. I was sad I missed the Broadway production of Waitress when we were in NYC, so I was excited to see the movie, which was a live stage recording of the show. It did not disappoint! Honorable mentions to A Man Called Otto (based on the book A Man Called Ove) and Barbie.


Least Favorite Movie: Wonka. 

I didn’t think anything could be more boring than the Frozen franchise, but I was wrong. Have I mentioned how much I detest kids’ movies? Even more than young adult literature?


Favorite Travel Experience: Ten-day Mediterranean cruise in May with Shulamith. 

We visited Barcelona, Cannes, Pisa, Florence, and Rome, and it was all incredible. Runner up… a quick weekend trip to Phoenix in November, where Shulamith, Kennedy, and I attended my niece Carley’s wedding. Of course weddings are always the best, but getting to spend time with my Oregon family, extended family, and relatives of my extended family was the icing on the proverbial cake. So fun!


Least Favorite Travel Experience: None. No such thing.


Favorite TV show: The Chosen

Like so many people, I was captivated from the start. It is the best representation of Jesus I’ve ever seen, perfectly nuanced between His humanity and divinity. 


Favorite TV mini-series based on a book: All the Light We Cannot See. 

Simultaneously tragic and heroic like so many WWII stories, the TV mini-series is nearly as powerful as the book. Honorable mentions to Lessons in Chemistry and The Last Thing He Told Me. I read both these before watching the two mini-series and thoroughly enjoyed both genres.


Favorite Blog Post: “Cuz I really like being right.”

This year I’m going with the post that got the most page views. (Also, because I really like being right.) Nod goes to “‘Were you consistent?’ Mr. Gay wanted to know,” which placed second for the year in page views. The former is the story of Shulamith’s transition back to teaching half-day kindergarten after a 10-year break. The latter is about my 25+ year journey as an adjunct college instructor and our family's commitment to education. Interesting that the top two posts are both related to our careers.


Favorite email correspondent: Hermana Emma Mecham.

My friend Lindsey’s daughter is serving in the Minnesota Minneapolis Mission, Spanish speaking, out there every day sharing the good news of the Savior Jesus Christ with the people of Minnesota. It is joyful to receive her emails and hear about all the people she is serving. I know her beautiful smile is a light to everyone she meets! (Lindsey, wasn’t it just last week that she and Seth were sitting at your dining room table in Billings playing Candy Land?)


Favorite meal: Shrimp pasta in a lovely little restaurant in Pisa.

It was so delicious, and working to get the shrimp out of the shells was nuts!


Least favorite meal: Everything we ate on the cruise ship. Blah!


Favorite Bible story: Matthew 3. This past year our church Sunday School curriculum focused on the New Testament, which includes the incredible stories of Jesus and His ministry. It’s hard to pick a favorite, but the story of Jesus’ baptism, in Matthew 3:13-17 teaches us so much. I especially love the significance of verse 15. When John the Baptist questions his own worthiness to baptize Jesus, Jesus explains, “Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness.” Consider the word “us” in that sentence. Jesus says “it becometh us” not “it becometh me.” This is kingdom language; this speaks of the covenant relationship that is needed. It’s like He’s saying, “Now we, together, will build the kingdom.” I wonder how a fuller understanding of this principle might affect our individual lives and journeys.


Favorite song: “O Come, All You Unfaithful.”

Released in 2020, this is not a brand new Christmas song, but it was new to me! I’ve listened to probably a half dozen covers, but my favorite is this one by the BYU Young Ambassadors. We can be deniers like Peter, doubters like Thomas, runners like Jonah, persecutors like Paul, idolaters like Solomon, unfaithful like David. Our Savior is always there with open arms to cleanse, redeem, welcome, and love. As the song lyrics invite: “Come, see what your God has done.”


And that's a wrap on my 2023 favorites. Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment