I didn't even know I was a murderer until the very end of the night. It was my friend Emily's 40th birthday celebration and surprise murder mystery dinner, and I managed to kill not one, but two people without even knowing it! That's impressive, don't you think? What a fun evening! Super kudos to Emily's husband Trent for arranging the whole thing, even writing the script!
Emily and I on the Red Carpet!
Two other cool activities made July, 2025 a month to remember. First, a reunion of four moms from the Arkansas Little Rock Mission, where Eli served from 2012-2014. The four of us, for whatever reason, were drawn to each other. Those were the days when we all lived for Monday, P-day, when we eagerly awaited email from our missionary. When it didn't come, we texted each other for support. "Have you heard from your missionary?" "Me either." "Where are they?" "Wait, isn't it transfers this week? I'll bet they're busy moving." "Did your son transfer? Who's his new companion?" "Oh yeah, Eli knows him. Super nice kid." Stuff like that. We were each other's support network, and I was so grateful to have that. During the mission, we met with a larger group of parents of ALRM missionaries, but once they were all four home, we began to meet up occasionally with just the four of us. Over 10 years later, we still feel drawn to each other.
We met at a place called Edna's down in Provo. Carlene and Lisa were there when I arrived, and both stood to offer hugs and hellos. Same when Janeen got there. So, so good to be together. We sat at a table for 3.5 hours, without a lull in the conversation. We talked about our former missionaries of course, where they are, what they're doing for work. All four are married now, two with children. And we talked about us, our lives, our jobs, our other kids. Eventually, the restaurant was closing, so we took a picture and said goodbye, vowing not to let quite so many years pass before we gather again.
Moms of Elders Randall, Draper, Armstrong, and Webster
Finally, the highlight of July was flying to my hometown of Portland for my niece Katie's wedding. Gerald dropped me at the airport on his way to work and took this quick picture before I headed inside to meet up with Isaiah, who went with me.
Our first night there, everyone in my extended family was at the rehearsal dinner, so Isaiah and I had dinner with my best friend Lorrie, who kindly drove all the way from Vancouver, WA to meet us at our hotel in Clackamas. Literally every single time I get to see Lorrie, I tell myself that I'll get a picture of the two of us, and every single time, I don't do it. Ugh! Still, it was a delightful evening, where Lorrie told Isaiah all sorts of stories of our past, which she remembers in minute detail, and which I remember once she tells them. The time when Luke was on his mission in Portland, and Lorrie spotted him at a U. of Portland / BYU basketball game that the missionaries were allowed to attend because one of the BYU players previously served in the Oregon Portland Mission. The time when she and her husband Ernst were living in Vienna but flew home and came to visit me at college shortly after my dad passed away. I met Lorrie when I was 13, so there are lots of stories! It was the most lovely evening with good food and even better conversation. I miss my friend. I wish we could be together more often.
The day of the wedding, Isaiah and I picked up my mom at her house to head to the venue for pictures. We took a couple informal ones before we left.
Look at my very handsome Isaiah!
Soon we arrived at the beautiful venue. The weather was perfect...cool breeze and sunshine with no rain. Yes, you actually heard me say that. Under almost all circumstances, I'd. prefer. rain. But at an outdoor wedding and dinner, no. Katie and Josh were married under a gazebo overlooking the beautiful green hills of West Linn, Oregon in front of a long-time family friend who officiated, and surrounded by the love of dozens. You could feel the love and support for this couple everywhere, so much joy!
Bride and groom!
The ceremony was followed by dinner at several large round tables also outside and then dessert and dancing inside the pavilion. I didn't get a lot of pictures; they requested no personal photography during the ceremony. But here's one...
Isaiah, my mom, and my brother Tom
Finally, a giant shoutout to the folks who have my back. I don't see any of these people very often because I live in Utah, and they live in Oregon and Washington. It's a problem. But when it comes down to the wire, they are there for me. My nieces Leslie and Carley, who were bridesmaids, stocked a couple 20 oz. Diet Cokes upstairs where they all got dressed, and Carley brought a cold one down to me at the start of the reception. Then, Yvonne also realized I wouldn't like any of the drinks they were serving, so she asked her daughter to stop on the way to the wedding and pick up a 2-liter, along with a cup for me. Multiple times, throughout the dinner and reception, I just walked back to the kitchen, where the nice caterers happily kept the 2-liter in the fridge. Each time, I filled the cup with ice and poured fresh Diet Coke. Thank you for thinking of me, Leslie, Carley, and Yvonne! Totally over-the-top kindness but so, so appreciated.
That's a wrap for July, 2025. We leave this Friday for an Alaskan cruise, so more fun to come in August.
.jpeg)





.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment