It was my privilege to attend Stake Conference in the Billings Montana East Stake this weekend. Visiting our conference was Elder Dallin H. Oaks from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Yes, it is a rare occasion that an apostle visits Billings, and yes, everyone was excited. I don't know that we were fully prepared, though, for what his presence would bring to our conference meetings. I know I wasn't. It was not so much the things he said although he spoke plenty of inspiring and uplifting words. It was more his humble presence, his outpouring of love for the people, his humor, his grace.
Luke and I went an hour early in hopes of securing comfortable seats in pews in the chapel rather than sitting on metal folding chairs way back in the cultural hall. No luck there. Even a full hour before the start of the meeting, the chapel was full, and we found ourselves seated half way back in the gym, saving seats for the rest of our family. We were blessed for our efforts, though, as Elder Oaks made his way back to those folding chairs in the gym, walking up and down the rows shaking hands with everyone he possibly could, saying, "Welcome to conference." And welcomed we were, Luke and I, our family, and the rest of the Billings Montana East Stake, as Elder Oaks testified of God's unconditional love for all of his children, of the infinite atonement of the Savior, and of the restoration of his Church in this day.
Grace. Divine love and protection, though unmerited and undeserved, available to all.