Friday, April 2, 2010

Does it get any better than this?

Occasionally, Easter falls on the first Sunday in April which is always General Conference weekend for our church. When this happens, we get both Easter and General Conference in the same weekend. I can't wait! I mean really, does it get any better than this? Not as far as I'm concerned.

My goal today was to get as much accomplished as possible to increase my chances of getting to watch all four sessions (eight hours) of conference with minimal interruption. First, I hit Costco where I bought the biggest, most beautiful strawberries I believe I've ever seen. The plan: strawberry shortcake. I also bought mini angel-food cakes (no, relax, I'm not baking), and two-dozen eggs. Next, I headed for my favorite bagel shop because I'm totally thinking egg salad bagel sandwiches for Sunday. Sadly, I was too late; the shop closes at 3:00 p.m. and I arrived just ten minutes after. There's still hope, though. Maybe Gerald could stop by the bagel shop tomorrow morning after he takes Seth to the Easter egg hunt at MSU?

I realize most people do fancy Easters dinners; you know, like they cook hams and turkeys and stuff. But, well, this year I just don't want to. I WANT to watch conference. So this egg salad idea seems perfect. We'll already have the hard-boiled eggs because Seth will want to dye them tomorrow night and hunt for them first thing Sunday morning. Also, this leaves the only real work completely out of my hands because Gerald is the hard-boiled egg maker in our family. That policy took shape years ago. You see, I sort of have this "issue" with hard-boiled eggs. I follow all the directions perfectly, but when it comes times to peel them, the shells never want to come off. And I get SOOOO mad! You don't even know. If I can't peel each egg perfectly, like totally smooth with no dents, I become so frustrated that I just squish the whole thing in my hand. I've even been known to throw the egg right out the window. So yeah, Gerald took over the task of boiling eggs years ago. He doesn't share any of my perfectionistic tendencies and doesn't mind the dents at all.

Sunday dinner: egg salad bagel sandwiches, strawberry shortcake, and Easter candy. Yum!

My next stop was Albertson's where I bought some cream cheese and sliced turkey for the strange people in my family who do not like egg salad. I also got chips, pop, and a cheese ball with crackers. Eli was working, and he told me to go back and get shampoo. "Dad is out, and he keeps using mine, and mine is expensive." Got it.

Now I'm home contemplating a plan to get the house in shape, so we don't have to worry about that tomorrow either. As you can see, I'm not making great progress there, but it's only 7:00 p.m. Have faith! Tomorrow, we're scheduled to feed the sister missionaries currently serving in our ward, but guess what? I don't want to cook tomorrow night either. How does Papa Murphy's take-and-bake pizza with green salad sound? They get plenty of home-cooked meals, right? Okay, that's settled.

Easter and General Conference all in one weekend. Does it get any better than this?

Happy General Conference weekend to those for whom that matters, and Happy Easter to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment