With just six days class days remaining in the semester before final exam week, I once again find myself buried in papers. This happens every semester. I come to a point where I seriously don't believe I'm capable of getting it all done. It feels impossible, insurmountable, and hopeless. Everywhere I look is another stack of papers to be graded. Shulamith offered this encouragement today: "You will get all the papers graded. You always do. But it will probably suck a lot."
I'm afraid she's right. The next two weeks will, indeed, "probably suck a lot," but then, let's get real. This is simply the plight of the English teacher. Papers, papers, papers. I remember once a very long time ago I thought I'd try teaching high school. For so many reasons, I hated it. I have absolutely no clue how to discipline kids, so my classroom management was atrocious. I don't even discipline my own kids; how on earth would I know how to discipline other kids? It was a complete disaster. However, I have one fond memory. One day in the faculty lounge, I was lamenting the fact that I had a bunch of essays to grade, while the P.E. teacher was on his way outside to play kick ball with his class. "This is just not fair," I protested. His reply: "Hey, I knew what I was doing when I chose a field of study. You made your choice as well."
And that is the truth. I made my choice. To be perfectly honest, I can't think of another subject I would choose to teach. I love English. I love watching students' writing skills mature and develop over the course of the semester. I love watching their confidence level as they set out to write their final essays. Yes, I made my choice, and it wasn't P.E.
Or math.
Or communication.
Or science.
It was English. And that was a good choice. Very good. But oh the papers!
Papers, papers, papers.
I'm afraid she's right. The next two weeks will, indeed, "probably suck a lot," but then, let's get real. This is simply the plight of the English teacher. Papers, papers, papers. I remember once a very long time ago I thought I'd try teaching high school. For so many reasons, I hated it. I have absolutely no clue how to discipline kids, so my classroom management was atrocious. I don't even discipline my own kids; how on earth would I know how to discipline other kids? It was a complete disaster. However, I have one fond memory. One day in the faculty lounge, I was lamenting the fact that I had a bunch of essays to grade, while the P.E. teacher was on his way outside to play kick ball with his class. "This is just not fair," I protested. His reply: "Hey, I knew what I was doing when I chose a field of study. You made your choice as well."
And that is the truth. I made my choice. To be perfectly honest, I can't think of another subject I would choose to teach. I love English. I love watching students' writing skills mature and develop over the course of the semester. I love watching their confidence level as they set out to write their final essays. Yes, I made my choice, and it wasn't P.E.
Or math.
Or communication.
Or science.
It was English. And that was a good choice. Very good. But oh the papers!
Papers, papers, papers.
Terrianne,
ReplyDeleteI just pulled up my daughter's blog as I was homesick for her and found your comment. Thank you...it was a tender mercy from the Lord today. We actually just had the sister missionaries in our ward over for dinner tonight and I was thinking about my Sister Buchanan. If you happen to see her, please tell her Mom says hi (you could throw in a hug for me too, that would be great)...that will keep her guessing, at least for a few minutes. Thank you for feeding her and I'm glad that the two of you had blogging to share. I know that she was afraid that she would miss it, although I know she is very busy and enjoying her work there.
My fondest appreciation,
Polly Scott
Ah, Polly, I understand. Our first born son served a mission in 2006-2008. I remember the bittersweet feelings, how hard it was to say goodbye, how much I rejoiced in p-day email. We have three more sons, so I know we'll experience this again. Our only daughter did not serve a mission and recently got married, so I won't have the experience of sending a daughter into the mission field, which is probably a good thing because I'm a total wimp where she's concerned.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, if you read this, please know that I LOVE your daughter already. She is so wonderful. She and her companion spoke in church this past week and did an excellent job. You would be so proud of her.
And yes, I will definitely see her regularly as long as she's serving our ward. I will tell her "hi" from you; I will give her a hug. You can count on it.
Take care,
Terrianne
Tell her Voltron loves her...she will know....what a uplifting witness your words are
ReplyDeleteI will deliver your message, Will. "Voltron." Got it. :-)
ReplyDelete