Friday, April 23, 2010

What Have You Done Today?

So Lindsey just changed her Facebook status to read, "Lindsey just helped save three lives by donating blood. What have you done today?" Indeed, she did! And good on her, I might add. The first (and only) time she had previously donated was ten years ago when she was in high school, and the experience wasn't good. She felt sick for an entire week. When I asked (urged, coerced, coaxed) her to go with me to our church-sponsored blood drive, she was understandably hesitant. Who wants to risk feeling sick for a week?? But she agreed.

So this time, I was determined she would not have any negative side effects. I know, right? Like I had any control over that. Still, I was wishing and praying hard. I, myself, am a seasoned blood donor. I started donating when I was 17, and other than during my five pregnancies and when I've been deferred because of foreign travel, I've always donated regularly. Gerald is also a serious blood donor, and we've effectively trained Luke and Shulamith to be the same. Now we just need to get Isaiah and Eli on track with this. Anyway, in all the times I've donated (surely, over 100), I've never had a side effect. I always feel exactly the same afterward as I did when I walked in. Getting started can be sketchy because I have tiny veins, hidden deeply under my skin, but I figure even phlebotomists need challenges. Once they find a good vein, all is well. The ones who are really good can sometimes get in with just one try. They follow my specific instructions including which arm to use, where to go in, and how to "dig deep...like you're going for oil!" I call these amazing people who get in on the first try "vein whisperers." Usually it takes some poking and prodding, which leaves my arm sore and bruised the following day, but ultimately, they do succeed.

So tonight, Lindsey picked me up at 6:10, and off we went to our 6:20 appointment. We went through the standard iron check, blood pressure check, body temperature check, and question/answer session before beginning the actual donation. I was seated in front and to the right of Lindsey, but I could see her in the mirror. I prayed fervently that (1) my phlebotomist would find my tiny vein quickly and painlessly, and (2) that Lindsey would not feel sick. Within ten minutes, we were both finished. I made my way back to get some water and cookies. Lindsey stayed down a while longer just to be cautious. When she did stand, she did so quickly and all in one motion. Bad idea. "Ah, I don't feel very well," she said. Back down she went, and they brought her a sugary drink, along with a cold pack for the back of her neck. It was already freezing in there; my body temperature was only 97.2 when they measured it. But she was a trooper and obediently placed the cold pack behind her neck. We stayed another 10-15 minutes before she tried to get up again, this time slowly, first sitting, then standing. Much better. Other than shivering from the cold pack, she was okay.

Blood donation is such a good idea. Many people cannot donate because of health issues or certain medications. But if you can, I hope you will. There are some other little perks, like it takes 600 calories to replace what they take, so they encourage you to make your next two meals hearty ones. No problem!

Lindsey and Terrianne helped save three lives each by donating blood. What have you done today?

No comments:

Post a Comment