September always feels like a very long month, which is ironic because it has only 30 days. But January? Ugh! It just goes on and on and on. January, 2013 has been particularly cold; it has felt more like Billings, Montana than Salt Lake City, and many days have actually been colder here than in Billings. As a naturally cold person, I find it hard to get warm once I've been outside. Sometimes only a hot shower will do the trick, and I've taken many of what I call "power showers" this month. Their purpose is not to get clean, but to get warm! With the freezing temps and relentless snow, this month has lived up to its reputation for being the l-o-n-g-e-s-t month of the year.
Nevertheless, I have searched for and found (!) many good things to compensate for the weather and even one thing to embrace and rejoice about it. Let me tell you about them, in no particular order:
1. I made my very first loaf of homemade bread. Those of you who know me will understand how huge this is. I am not a cook. I am certainly not a baker. I'm just mom, who gives thanks daily that her children have not starved to death through the years. On my own, I would have never considered baking bread. But Shulamith is way braver than I am, and she did it one day while I was at school. The second I got home, she gave me a yummy slice of fresh, warm bread, and then she insisted that I make some myself. With her directing my every move, I did it. And it was delicious...like really! And easy. Shocking.
2. I have jumped back on the diet and exercise wagon after a very "off" holiday season. We have averaged 2 - 3 times a week at the gym, either taking classes or working out on our own. On the days we can't get there, we at least do mall-walking. Swen sometimes agrees to ride in his stroller, and when he won't, we figure we're burning more calories taking turns carrying an extra 20 pounds. I've been faithful to my low-fat eating routine, without a break, the entire month, and I can feel the results; most of those holiday pounds are thankfully gone. Can I tell you I'm sick of dieting, however?
3. We got to speak in church this past Sunday. We thought we weren't on the schedule until March, but the speakers for this week must have cancelled? Their loss - our gain! It was super fun, as always. Gerald spoke on "Good Works," and I spoke on "Kindness." Though we don't share our talks ahead of time, they complemented each other nicely. Will they still let us speak in March? Doubtful, but I can always dream.
4. Seth and I are reading the Book of Mormon together, using a computer-generated plan that divides the book into 365 equal sections. We LOVE it! The amount we read each day is so manageable, even for Seth, and that gives us time to discuss what we read. He claims he's going on a mission in 5/1/2 years (sigh), so this is great training.
5. I, finally, began letting Seth walk home from school occasionally. Since his accident, I've been scared to let him cross the street (80th S.) where he was hit. There is no crossing guard, and he was right inside the crosswalk when he was hit, so it's hard for me not to worry. I realize that I'm a crazy, anxious, over-the-top worry mom, but I think any mom (even normals ones) would feel my angst. Gerald drives Seth to school each morning, but a couple times this month, I've let him walk home. I make him text me before he crosses the street and then after he has crossed. Poor Seth.
6. I was thrilled to watch the inauguration of President Obama for his second term, and I have high expectations for the next four years. Already, I'm delighted with the steps he is taking toward gun reform laws and immigration reform. Hooray!
7. As of the end of January, Eli has been out on his mission 10 months. As we approach the half way mark, I continue to be thankful for his courage and commitment to his mission. He is doing great work and learning so much. I miss him. Lots. But his positive, spiritual, upbeat, funny letters each week are all I need to persevere through the next 14 months. Knowing how happy he is, how can I not be happy too?
8. Even in the snowy cold, last Sunday evening, Shulamith and I took a short walk to visit some friends who live a couple blocks around the corner from us. It was so quiet as the snow fell gently all around us. We breathed deeply and appreciated the loveliness! We had dressed for the weather, so we weren't even cold.
I won't lie. I'm beyond ready for January be be over in a couple days. I'm ready for warmer weather, but I know that's not likely just yet. In the meantime, will you join me in embracing each moment? Whatever the circumstances and whatever the weather, may we seek and find the good things that are everywhere.
And if need be, take a "Power Shower."
No comments:
Post a Comment