Saturday, July 29, 2017

One wide-brimmed hat. Check! (Is it really the last time?)

I bought a hat today. I went to Deseret Industries and bought a hat. I had hoped to find more costume pieces, but I really need Seth with me to get the rest, and he's at Lagoon today.

As I exited the store, it occurred to me that this is the very last time I'll shop for costume pieces for a high school musical. I gotta hand it to Hillcrest; they did pick the best musical of all time for Seth's senior year. This November, HHS musical theatre department will present Les Miserables. I can hardly wait.

Even though the show is still four months away, Seth is required to have his peasant costume ready by August 12th for "performing arts boot camp." The search is on! But back to that "last time" stuff. Keep in mind that Eli was in musicals all through high school, and Seth has followed suit, so yeah, it seems like every year for at least the past 80, I've been searching thrift stores for costume pieces.

And I hate it.

Really, I do. It takes so much time and effort to find all these different things and then in all the right sizes. It's not fun at all.

But oh how I will miss it! 

Next year when the musical comes around, Seth could be, well, just about anywhere! He plans to submit mission papers for availability on his 18th birthday, June 14th. I couldn't be any prouder of his decision, but sheesh, what am I gonna do without him? With a full seven years between him and Eli, it's been just Seth and Mom for quite a long time. I've sent two missionaries already, and neither time was easy, but there is no question this time will be harder.

I keep telling myself that a year is a long time. That it won't go fast. I suggest you not be the one to shatter that dream. For now, I'll move forward with my costume search.

One wide-brimmed hat. Check!

Oh and this too! I didn't think we'd ever find the right shirt for the period, so "1-800-Call Grandma!" My mom is an incredible seamstress. Now I know what you're thinking: "That can't possibly be true. Terrianne's mom could never sew." I know, right? But she can. And she's amazing at it. I happen to share neither her natural aptitude or interest for such things, but she is so, so good. I sent her the pictures and the suggested pattern numbers, and she was on it. A week later, we received this very cool shirt in the mail:


Now we just need loose khakis, tall boots, a belt or suspenders, a vest, and possibly a jacket. We'll get there. We always do.

It's going to be an epic senior year. And a long one. Very long. You can be sure I won't miss even the tiniest part of it. I've told Seth I plan to follow his Vocal Ensemble group around to all its performances through the year. That's the beauty of being the last child; mom isn't distracted by anything else. Fortunately, he doesn't mind.

I bought a hat today. One wide-brimmed hat. Check!



2 comments:

  1. Maybe he will be sent to Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be great, Susie. We've sent one to the Pacific Northwest and one to the deep South, so Massachusetts would be a good complement to those, I think.

      Delete