Saturday, January 13, 2018
Kennedy says - Part II
A while back, I began an ongoing blog, listing the funny things Shulamith's daughter Kennedy says. Shulamith will want to remember these gems of wisdom, but she's too busy with three littles to blog. So I'm doing it for her. Now that it's 2018, I'm starting a new post, so these all get recorded in the blog books I publish each year.
15. Kennedy woke up one morning recently, and out of the blue, with no provocation or prior discussion, said:
Kennedy: Jesus did a really good job making our bodies.
Ha, ha, yes, Kennedy. He sure did!
16. Kennedy: I really want to be a princess. Except princesses never save the day; they just hang out in castles.
17. After Shulamith dropped Swen off at school:
Kennedy: Swen is always mean to me on this earth.
18. Apparently, Kennedy has been learning about the Holy Ghost in her Primary class.
Kennedy: Mom, do your remember when my cheeks go itchy? There were bumps on my cheeks.
Shulamith: Yeah, I remember that.
Kennedy: Remember when we learned about the Holy Ghost?
Shulamith: No, what did you learn about the Holy Ghost?
Kennedy: He gives us bumps. I think the Holy Ghost put bumps on my cheeks?
Shulamith: Yeah, he does give us goose bumps sometimes.
Kennedy: At church they were saying the silliest things!
Shulamith: What were they saying?
Kennedy: They said the Holy Ghost is inside of us! (Then she started cracking up.)
19. When we go places each day, I leave home and go for a walk, and Shulamith picks me up by the side of the road somewhere. Later, she drops me off by the side of the road. The is just easier emotionally than if she were to show up at my house or drop me off here and drive off, as if she didn't live here. That would be too hard. So today after we were out for lunch and grocery shopping, we headed off to drop me somewhere:
Kennedy: I want to go in Her's house.
Shulamith: No, I need to get home to Theodore.
Kennedy: Where are you going to put Her at?
20. Kennedy does her job of being a 3-year-old perfectly, fits and all. She's so good at it! Today, while they were driving in the car, she was screaming.
Shulamith: Sweetheart, what is wrong? How can I help you?
Kennedy: I WANT A TOY!
Shulamith: But I can't buy you a toy every day. I don't have enough money.
Kennedy (louder screaming): I NEED A TOY BECAUSE I WANT A TOY!
21. My mom sent Kennedy a "Anna" princess dress, which she has tried to wear every single day since she received it.
Kennedy: Look, Her! I have a princess dress like Anna. And look, my hair is in braids like Anna, so I'm a real one. There are two Annas.
21. Kennedy: Mommy, I don't have any babies yet.
Shulamith: I know, honey. Once you grow up and get married, a long time from now, then you can have your own babies.
Kennedy: Yes, and I will have a girl, so we will have another girl baby.
Shulamith: Yay! Another girl!
Kennedy: And I will be big and I can wear your clothes.
22. Kennedy: I have this "ouch" here. I got it from doing Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes too fast.
23. Kennedy: Mommy, why did you ruin my tattoo?
Shulamith: I didn't ruin your tattoo.
Kennedy: You letted me ruin my tattoo!!
24. Kennedy is staying upstairs with me overnight tonight.
Shulamith: Will you miss me?
Kennedy: No. Because I love Her also.
25. So we were at Kneader's today for lunch before I went to school, and we bought Swen and Kennedy each a small pinwheel. Just now, out of the blue, Kennedy says to Shulamith:
Kennedy: Mommy, if you don't talk to me fast enough, I'm going to poke you with my windmill real hard.
Shulamith: Kennedy, I don't like it when you threaten me.
Kennedy: For you never listen to me fast enough.
26. So we get in the car to go somewhere, and Kennedy has a few toys with her (not sure what), and she beings to yell at us because it's apparently too bright for her toys to go to sleep:
Kennedy: Mommy!! It needs to be dark for my toys can go to sleep. It's too bright.
Shulamith: Well, since it's the middle of the day, the sun is out and it's bright.
Kennedy (yelling louder): MOMMY! It is too bright, and you need to make it dark for my toys. And they also need a blanket.
27. Kennedy (holding finger straight out and yelling at Shulamith): Mom!! I hurt my finger, and now I'm going to have to hold it straight out like this forever and ever and ever and ever!
28. Kennedy is the quintessential 3-year-old. She is mad much of the time, and often we don't have the slightest idea why. How great that she's doing such a wonderful job of being three! Often, she's yelling at Shulamith, even before she gets out of bed, before the two of them have even laid eyes on each other. For example, the other day:
Kennedy (screaming from her bed, first thing in the morning): MOM!!! I DO NOT WANT TO WEAR THESE JAMMIES!
And later that same day,
Kennedy: I love you this much (as she claps her hands stretched out in front of her, attempting to show Shulamith how little she loves her).
29. Kennedy is easily frustrated when people don't get her what she wants fast enough. She recently asked Shulamith for a drink, and Shulamith evidently didn't respond quickly enough:
Kennedy: Look Mom! I don't even have a drink! See!!! See!" (as she held her hands out around an imaginary cup, so Shulamith could see that she didn't have one.
30. Kennedy is planning her 4th birthday party for this coming week. She's been terribly conflicted over whether to have a princess party or a Dark Souls party, a video game she plays with Matt. We'll see how that turns out, but this morning she was telling Shulamith about how fun it will be to have her party at a splash pad.
Shulamith: Do you want to have your party at the splash pad?
Kennedy: Yes! All my friends will come and wear their swimsuits and play in the water. Except I can't open my presents in the water because they would get all wet.
31. Today we took Swen and Kennedy to the "Pay Your Age" event at Build-A-Bear. One headline I read about it said, "It was such a success, it failed." That's an excellent way to describe it. We waited in a line around the perimeter of Fashion Place Mall for three hours, but left without bears, only vouchers for $15 off the future purchase of bears. It was pretty anticlimactic, but we tried to call it an "adventure," to which Kennedy replied:
Kennedy: "It's a STUPID adventure!"
32. Shulamith very much doesn't want Kennedy to be a perfectionist. But after watching her dance class weekly for the past year and a half, honestly, I think it's too late. She watches the teacher closely, waits, watches more, until she's certain she can do the moves perfectly. It's great really! Then there's this. The other day, Kennedy was frustrated because she couldn't find her shoe, which happened to be two feet from her, but still.
Kennedy: My shoe is gone. Gone! I can't find it anywhere. See!? I'll never be able to leave this house again. See!? See!? Never.
33. Last week, Shulamith and Matt and their kids were visiting some friends in Lehi. Shulamith packed pajamas for the kids but forgot pajama bottoms for Kennedy. Kennedy was very upset about this. Shulamith tried to convince her to just wear the top and put on the bottoms once they got home. Or to put her pants back on with the pajama top for the ride home. But Kennedy wasn't having any of it:
Kennedy: You didn't bring my pajama bottoms, so I'll just have to go the bathroom in my car seat!
34. Shulamith teaches a class at Salt Lake Community College two nights a week, so Matt has their kids by himself. Last Monday night he took them to the store and let them pick out some candy.
Matt: Okay, you can eat the candy on the way home if you promise you will still eat the pork in the crock pot for dinner. Do you promise you will eat the pork?
Swen: Yes, I will eat the pork.
Kennedy: I will eat the pork.
So they ate their candy and then when when they got home, Matt gave them the pork dinner. Swen ate his just fine, but Kennedy refused.
Matt: Kennedy, you promised me if I let you eat your candy, that you would eat dinner once we got home.
Kennedy (in her sassiest voice). Well, I already at the candy, so sorry!
Matt: So you're not eating dinner.
Kennedy: Nope!
35. Kennedy wanted to go to Chevron to get candy. But it was Halloween, so Shulamith said Kennedy would get enough candy already.
Kennedy: I want to go the gas station and get candy.
Shulamith: I think you'll get plenty of candy today trick-or-treating, so we don't need to go to Chevron too.
Kennedy: Then I'll just have to take off my shoes and socks. (Which she did).
35. Then there was the issue of her costume. She dressed up as Harley Quinn from Batman. The costume included two arm coverings, red and black. She misplaced the red one somewhere in the house, and there wasn't time to search for it.
Kennedy: I'm not going without both my arm bands.
Shulamith: It's okay. We don't time to look now, but we will find it later.
Kennedy: HARLEY QUINN WOULD NOT WEAR JUST ONE ARM BAND!
Shulamith: Well, we really need to go right now.
Kennedy: Then I won't wear anything! I'll just have to wear my swimming suit to school!
36. Kennedy loves to wear her Mini Mouse dress, with leg warmers and her new white shoes with heels. Everywhere. Even though this dress is not very warm, and it's freezing outside.
Me: What did you do at preschool today?
Kennedy: We talked about what we want to be when we grow up.
Me: What do you want to be?
Kennedy: I'm going to the The Tooth Fairy!
37. So apparently on the rare occasions that Matt picks Kennedy up from preschool, he lets her "drive" the car. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but she says she drives the car out on the road.
Kennedy: I drove the car with Daddy today.
Shulamith: Really? You did?
Kennedy: And I even turned a corner, and I heard no crashes.
38. When Kennedy goes to bed, she likes to put the pillow up flat against the wall and then sit upright, so when she falls asleep, her chin falls down on her chest.
Shulamith: Kennedy, it's time to go to sleep. Put the pillow down flat on the bed.
Kennedy: No.
Shulamith: But you do it when Daddy asks you to.
Kennedy: But I love you both.
39. Kennedy has a spunky personality, and she isn't afraid to tell people what she thinks (which is a wonderful quality, by the way). But the question remains, is she 4? Or 14? Shulamith refused to return home to get the scarf Kennedy was planning to wear but forgot.
Kennedy: Ugh. You are ruining my life. I am SO tired of you.
40. But then there's this...Kennedy was just sitting on the couch watching her tablet, and out of nowhere:
Kennedy: Mom, I'll turn this down when we pray.
41. Kennedy is learning a lot at preschool.
Shulamith: What did you learn at school today?
Kennedy: One hundred years ago there were no people on earth, only dinosaurs.
Shulamith: Really? One hundred years ago?
Kennedy: Yes.
Shulamith: What did the dinosaurs do?
Kennedy: Oh they just walked around eating plants or meat.
42. Shulamith: Time to go to preschool, Kennedy.
Kennedy: Are we meeting Her for lunch first?
Shulamith: No, not today.
Kennedy: Yayyyyyyy. (long pause). I love Her, but I can't wait to get to preschool!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment