Friday, January 19, 2018
"Waffles" Love!
To say I love dogs would be a gross understatement. One time, long ago, I started a movement called "Dog Liberation," whose goal was to empower dogs (or something like that). It was obviously ridiculous, but demonstrates both my love for canine creatures and my obsession with causes and fighting for what I thought was right, even as a kid.
Growing up, I had a few dogs. My favorite was Misty, a black toy poodle. I was around 10, and I wanted a dog so badly that I staged an all-out campaign to get one. My dad made grocery shopping lists, and when he wasn't looking, I added an item, "dog," to every list he made, pretty much every day. I also left him notes in his car, on the bathroom mirror, in his coat pockets, and anywhere else I thought might get his attention.
But he stood firm. We would not be getting a dog.
Or at least that's what he said.
But you see, just like me, my dad was great at lying in order to create and preserve the element of surprise. The morning of October 20th, my birthday, I was absolutely convinced I was not getting a dog, and I was prepared to be sorely disappointed in any other present. I walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch, my unhappiness evident to all.
And my dad began his carefully rehearsed speech.
"Honey, we really just can't get a dog. I know how much you wanted one, but it's just not going to work out right now."
As he continued on with this spiel, I noticed something moving on his lap. And then the noise, a tiny squeak of a noise. What? Are you kidding me? He had a little black toy poodle puppy hidden under his black shirt.
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Pure joy does not adequately describe my emotions, but it's the best I can do. My Misty girl was my favorite!
Fast forward a year or two to the present. When we bought this house six years ago, Shulamith got a sweet Boxer pup, whom Mathew named "Kitty." We all loved her so, and when she suddenly died of a heart attack at only 4 years old, we all grieved, even Gerald, who supposedly doesn't like dogs. Soon after, Shulamith got another pup, an Aussiedoodle, whom Mathew named "Woof." Again, we all grew to love him. Then this past October, they took him away somewhere, and I haven't seen him since.
I've missed having a dog. Seth too. So I told Seth we could possibly go look at shelter dogs. Once I said that, there was no turning back. That very day when he got home from school, we went to the Humane Society. I told Seth we probably wouldn't find the right dog that first day; the process can take time because we want to be sure the dog we adopt is a good fit.
But of course, I was wrong, and after looking for only a short time, Seth picked out the sweetest, most adorable dog ever.
Meet Waffles!
It took no time at all for Seth to say, "This is the one," and I had to agree. He is really such a nice dog. We filled out the paperwork and brought him home. He might have been a little unsure at first, but it didn't take long for him to find his perfect place in our home and in our family.
Can you feel the love?
Oh, I should have mentioned that Waffles is a yellow lab/Chinese Shar Pei mix. His partially-wrinkled face and spotted tongue identify him as Shar Pei, but his body looks like a lab puppy, even though he is full grown and two years old.
Can you tell we like him a lot? Welcome to the family, "Waffles" Love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment