I was wrong. Last Saturday night he announced the start of his week-long social media fast. What was a mother to do? Join him in support, of course. Gerald and Shulamith did the same. It's now been one week, and my fast is over. Here's what happened:
The good.
1. I didn't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm pretty addicted to my phone, so I thought this would be super hard. It wasn't.
2. Shulamith said she noticed I was more "present" with her in the car. She always drives when we go places, and I often scroll through Instagram or FB. Then I decide to respond to a post and totally ignore her and whatever she's saying to me.
The bad.
2. The second hardest part was not being able to share my blog posts. I wrote one way back on Monday and published it, but so far it has only 7 views. Pathetic. Apparently a few of you check my blog without being prompted by Facebook, but not many of you. That's totally fine. I just shared it on Facebook for your reading pleasure.
3. One very good thing about social media is you find out right away about events in others' lives. A friend was in a serious car accident, and I had no idea. She isn't a close friend, but she is definitely someone I know. It felt weird finding out way after the fact. She is improving daily, thankfully.
4. In Shulamith's words: "Red lights are really boring."
The neutral.
1. I checked my email a lot throughout the week, probably because I'm in the habit of looking at stuff on my phone, and email was the only thing left. But, of course, hardly anyone sends email anymore.
2. I'd like to be able to tell you I replaced social media with worthier activities, but I don't think I did. It was a busy week, and I was distracted by lots of things.
So what is the takeaway from all this? I don't need social media as much as I thought I did, but I also wouldn't give it up. I'm not from Utah, and my extended family all live in Oregon. My closest friends live in Washington, Idaho, and Montana (and one way down in Southern Utah). Social media provides a much-needed connection with them. A one-week fast was fine; forever would not be.
No comments:
Post a Comment