Saturday, January 11, 2020

Theodore's Themes - Part II




This is an ongoing blog post, so Shulamith can remember all the things Theodore says. If you want to see the earlier installment of this post, go here. 

11. Theodore and Swen accidentally bonked heads, making Theodore very upset.
Theodore: Mommy! My Swen. Stupid!

12. We were with Shulamith's kids in the play area of a mall, and I spilled my nearly full, 44-oz Diet Coke everywhere.
Theodore: Oh no! Uck spill Diet Coke!

13. Theodore likes to nap here for some reason. He loves the Pack 'N' Play apparently. Shulamith was trying to get him to go to sleep at their apartment.
Theodore: I sleep Uck's house. I NOT sleep Mommy's house!

14. Looking around at their new apartment:
Theodore: I like new house. Really fun new house.

15. I gave Theodore a dollar bill in a Valentine card last week. He used it to buy new pacifiers because he loves them.
Theodore: I buy new bink! Uck give me present money.

16. The Jazz have come back from All-Star break and totally sucked, losing their first two games. Shulamith was screaming at them.
Theodore: Mommy, what Jazz doing?
Shulamith: They're losing really bad.
Theodore: Go away, Jazz, you stupid!

17. Theodore (playing with Waffles): Waffles is very nice and cute.
Me: Theodore is very nice and cute.
Theodore: Huck (formerly Uck) is very nice and cute.

18. Recently there was a noticeable earthquake here in the valley, followed by several aftershocks in the next couple of weeks.
Theodore: Mom! Shaking house so fun!

19. Swen is obsessed with tornados these days and plans on being a tornado chaser when he grows up. So of course Theodore hears lots of "tornado" talk. 
Theodore: "I will hiya tornados!" ("Hiya" means to attack something with a sword or some other long weapon.)

19. Theodore was asking for pepperoni. Shulamith often gives the kids little pepperonis in a cup, so she did that for Theodore.
Theodore: (noticeably unhappy): I don't want this! I want pepperoni (showing her a can of Dr. Pepper in the fridge)!

20. It's already been established that Theodore is the sweetest kid on the planet. I've had five children of my own, and I've never met such a docile, easygoing toddler. He basically bathroom trained himself at age 2.5, with zero stress. Lately, Shulamith has noticed his teeth (overbite) getting worse, likely the result of his pacifier (which he loves and calls a "bink"). Shulamith is a kind, respectful mother; she would never just take it away from him, but she also doesn't want his teeth to get worse. So she and Matt decided to sort of distract him from it during the day, and then see if he might be willing to go to sleep without it, knowing they would give it to him if he needed it. So when they were putting him to bed, Theodore said "Where's my bink?" to which they replied, "I don't know. I can't find it right now. Do you think you can maybe go to sleep without it (never thinking he would). But of course, Theodore lay right down and went to sleep. They left the pacifier on the floor by his crib, expecting he would wake up and need it in the night. He didn't. Slept all night. In the morning, when he woke up, he saw the pacifier on the floor.
Theodore: Hey Mommy, there's my bink. It's right there on the floor.

21. Theodore is the easiest baby/toddler ever, but like all kids, he often objects to going to bed.
Theodore: Night night is an idiot!

22. It's birthday season in the Webster-Monson home, with Shulamith's birthday in April, Matt's and Swen's birthdays in May, and Kennedy's and Theodore's birthdays in July. So Theodore has been hearing a lot about birthday presents arriving in the mail, mostly from Amazon. But he also hears a lot about junk mail each day, and it seems he's a bit confused.
Theodore: Mommy, my birthday present is in the junk mail!

23. It's been so sunny lately, and sometimes the sun shines right in Theodore's eyes as he rides in his car seat.
Theodore: Mommy! My eyeballs are crying!

24. So a few days ago, Theodore was mad about something, and Shulamith can't even remember now what it was, but...
Theodore: Mommy, I so mad I kick you in the face!

25. Shulamith tries to get Theodore to wear a swim top (rash guard) because he has such paper-white skin (more over, Joe Ingles), but Theodore doesn't want to wear it.
Theodore: If I wear it, my swim suit top will melt.

26. Theodore turned three on July 15th. He wanted to make sure everyone knew. All the next day:
Theodore: My birthday was so fun. I three now!

27. Theodore is obsessed with bugs. He loves them!
Theodore (showing me a bug on he ground): Hey, Her! Look at that bug!
Me: I see it. Is it alive or dead?
Theodore: I think dead. I think not walking.

28. One time Swen was with me, and Shulamith was out driving in her car with her other two kids.
Theodore: Oh Mommy! I think we can't find Swen!

29. Theodore loves to "read" stories (meaning, he looks at the pictures and makes stuff up about them). One time, he was leafing through a non-picture book.
Theodore: Oh no! This is NOT a story.

30. Theodore was eating the very last package of two Swiss Rolls. Shulamith told him to save one for Kennedy.
Theodore (holding up the tiniest crumb of Swiss Roll): I saved this for Kennedy!

31. Recently, Theodore was invited to an outdoor (social distanced - as much as is possible with 3-year-olds) birthday party for his friend, Ellis.
Theodore: I'm going to get a very special car.
Shulamith: You're going to get a special car as a birthday present for Ellis?
Theodore: No. I think for me. I'm going to hide it from Ellis.


No comments:

Post a Comment