Sunday, May 5, 2019

May the 4th. And the 5th too. Joy and Trials

It's been quite a weekend. Today in church, someone commented that if we're going through life feeling happy and joyful, we're doing something wrong because life is supposed to be filled with trials. I disagree. There are trials for sure, but there is also much joy.

Yesterday, Gerald and I hosted a get-together for local parents of missionaries serving in the Paraguay Asuncion Mission. It was a resounding success, just as I knew it would be. Put a bunch of missionary parents together (especially those with kids serving in the same mission), and it's a sure win. There's a bond you can't even imagine. I know this because I did the exact same thing once before, in 2013, when Eli was serving in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission. Well, here's that account if you're interested.

Around 20 parents were here yesterday, one couple from way up in Logan and several from down south in the Provo area, and others in between. Our house was a good central location. They all brought delicious food, but barely stopped talking long enough to eat it. It took all my strength to corral them outside for a picture; they had to stop talking long enough. A few came after this was taken, but here you go:

(photo cred: Isaiah Erichsen)

It's always a special treat to meet the mamas whose sons are close to my missionary. Two such moms were here yesterday, Tiffany (mom to Elder Gutierrez) and Elisa (mom to Elder Winward). Both these moms have raised awesome sons, who are amazing missionaries and such good friends to Seth. I am so grateful to both of them.


Once everyone left, I reviewed my Sunday School lesson and then crashed. The next day, today, would be May the 5th. Not my favorite. The lady at church this morning was partly right. There are many trials we face here, much adversity. No one is exempt. Today is the anniversary of the day my dad passed away. It's never an easy time for me. Well, once again, if you'd like to read about it, here it is.

But today was more joyful than most of these anniversaries have been through the years, and that is because of Eli's wife, Amanda. When our children grow up and marry, we have zero input regarding their choice of a spouse, yet that choice will affect us forever. It almost doesn't seem fair! We should at least get a vote. But nope. When Eli chose Amanda, he found a loving young woman, who knows how to care for others. She decided that throughout this entire day, I would never be alone. And I wasn't. We mostly worked on helping Eli prepare for his teaching demo tomorrow, part of the interview process for a job he's applying for. We also ate good food and talked and laughed and hung out together. Thank you, Amanda.

And Eli...you chose well, dude.

May the 4th: The joy of a group of parents, bonded forever because their beloved children walk the flooded streets of Paraguay.

May the 5th: Joy, even through trials, because family members help us walk the path of mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment