Today is May 31st. So far this month, I've only written three blog posts. That probably shouldn't matter, right? The goal here is quality, not quantity, and when I began this blog back in 2009, I never imagined it would turn into what it is today. That said, we all know I'm just a bit OCD, and yes, I like order. I like predictability. I like a plan. My plan for this blog is to write a minimum of four posts a month, an average of one each week, and I always do.
So when I noticed the date today and logged into the blog and saw only three posts for May, I panicked just slightly: "What? May 31st. Only three posts? I need to write something today!" There I sat on a bench surrounding a fountain downtown at City Creek Center, eating a decadent cookie from Crumbl. Shulamith and I were enjoying the sunshine. Sunshine isn't really my vibe, but she likes it, and I've had my share of "Terrianne Weather" the past few weeks, so.
"I need to blog today. Help me think of a good topic, Olivia." (I call her "Olivia" because she solves all my problems perfectly, just like Olivia Pope on Scandal.)
"I'll try to think," she replied.
Later, she texted, "What about friendship? Keeping old friends, making new friends, staying in touch, etc.?" A few minutes later, "Have you ever written about how you suck at technology?"
Hmmmm. I know I've written about several of my friends here and here and here and here, and I'm sure I've mentioned my ongoing war with technology. But this is my 677th blog post, so it's hard to remember every last one.
I tried both topics she suggested, and the posts went nowhere fast. After writing maybe three paragraphs both times, I whispered, "Well this sucks!" and deleted the whole thing.
So here we are, you and I. You need to read something. I need to write something. But what? Frustrated, I put my laptop aside and finished reading One Day in December, which is just not a very good book at all. It's one of those that you start reading, and then need to know what happens, so you keep reading, but then nothing ever happens. How can a book go on for 416 pages and nothing ever happens? Also, this author Josie Silver may be a very nice person, but she has NO EARTHLY IDEA HOW TO USE SEMICOLONS OR AVOID COMMA SPLICES.
Yes, I'm shouting. Nope, I'm not sorry. Ugh! Josie, you have three reasonable choices: Learn how to use semicolons, stop using semicolons, or (for the love of all things holy), get an editor! You're killin' me. And about the comma splices. There is no excuse. They're sloppy. That's all.
I don't recommend this book. Even if you like long, exhausting, would-be romance novels, you'll be too distracted by the numerous comma splices and rabid misuse of semicolons to enjoy it. I promise.
What should you read? Well, I just happened to go to my neighborhood book group last night. Let me tell you a little about that. Eight months ago, our stake went through some intense boundary restructure, which split our ward. The vast majority of our former ward members got to stay together, but a tiny handful of us were transplanted into a different ward, a fully established one that didn't lose any members in the restructure.
It was hard. Not gonna lie. It's still hard. We're making progress, and each week feels a little more normal, but I still really miss seeing my friends in church on Sunday. These things just take time.
One great thing happened, though. A group of women from this new ward have a neighborhood book group, and they were kind enough to invite Emily and me to join it shortly after we were put in their ward. That was six books ago! I still don't know any of these women very well, and they don't know much of anything about me either, but I do know this: They like to laugh, and so do I. And they like to read good books, and so do I. That's enough. At least for now.
Last night, we discussed Elinore Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. Definitely worth the read. Ms. Honeyman creates a voice in Elinore that is consistent and quirky and genuine. Even through the underlying trail of tragedy, Elinore will make you laugh.
My second favorite of the six books I've read for this group is Every Note Played by Lisa Genova. She writes about a man with ALS disease, from diagnosis through death, and his ex-wife who becomes his caregiver. It's raw and real, folks, not one bit sugar coated. And so well done. It's a great choice for anyone who doesn't suffer from anxiety that specifies to fear of terminal disease. (Wait! I have that exact type of anxiety!) Yep, I had ALS symptoms for weeks after reading the book and occasionally still do. Blech!
Two more recent books to recommend, though not from the book group: Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult and Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. The former offers a heart-wrenching look at race, privilege, and compassion, and reminds us that only love has the power to transform ugliness into grace. The latter captivates us from Page 1 into the world of "marsh girl," and a saga that is both unbelievable and realistic.
There you have it. Post #677, the fourth for May, 2019. Now I'll be able to sleep.
Happy reading, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment