Thursday, January 25, 2024

The best (healthy) muffins on the planet. Really.

It was around 3:00 p.m. Saturday, in the middle of my temple shift. I serve in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple once a week as an ordinance worker, which just means that I go there each week for six hours and assist the patrons. I stopped by the break room to pick up my Stanley, which I keep there so I can grab sips of Diet Coke throughout the afternoon. Gathered around one of the tables were like a dozen workers raving over these muffins that Sister Graham brought to share, but by the time I got there, they were gone! 

When I asked her about them, she said they are both delicious and healthy. Tell me more! Except she couldn't because she needed to leave for her next post assignment, and I needed to get upstairs to start the next session. But about an hour later, Sister Graham found me up on the 2nd floor and handed me a small piece of paper with the recipe for these muffins. She must carry recipes around with her wherever she goes? Anyway, it was nice of her, and the recipe looked interesting. It only has 1/4 C. oil in 30 muffins and only 1.5 C. sugar. Everything else is pretty good for you.

So the next day I bought all the ingredients to make them. The process wasn't especially hard, though I did cut my finger while grating carrots. Next time I'll for sure buy pre-grated ones; I struggle mightily with sharp objects. You probably aren't as klutzy as me, but be careful nonetheless.

But here's the thing. These muffins turned out so much better than I ever imagined. They are SO good! I can't even explain why they're so good, but I suspect it has something to do with the combination of flavors: pineapple and coconut and walnuts and carrots and raisins. Yummmm!

I barely ever share recipes on this blog. I'm a terrible cook. Why should I show y'all how to make bad food too? This is my 884th post (say what?) in the15 years of itslegs, and I think I've only included three other recipes. There's our family favorite: egg casserole. And this amazing black bean salsa. And, surprisingly, another muffin, which though good, is not quite as good as this one.

I won't hold out any longer. Drive to the store. Buy this stuff. Make these muffins. Thank me later.

The best (healthy) muffins on the planet - aka Morning Glory Muffins:

2 1/2 C. white or whole wheat flour

1 1/4 C. sugar

3 tsp. cinnamon

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. flax seed (or crushed bran flakes)

Mix all of the above in one bowl. Set aside.


3 eggs

1 C. applesauce 

1/4 C. oil

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix these four things in a bowl.

Combine both bowls.


2 carrots (grated)

1 apple (grated)

1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple

1/2 C. coconut flakes

1/2 C. raisins

1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Stir the above six things into the other mix, and fill muffin cups.

Bake 20-24 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes around 30 muffins.




2 comments:

  1. 30 regular size muffins? IF so, I'll have to cut the recipe in half ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Susan, it made 30! They freeze great, though, if you wanted to do that. I've been taking them out of the freezer 4-6 at a time. So yummy!

      Delete